Portland Drug Lawyer
Protect Yourself from Drug Charges
While state and federal conversations around drug offenses are changing, authorities in Oregon take these crimes seriously. Prosecutors aggressively pursue convictions in the name of getting drugs off the streets and preventing addiction.
Oftentimes, innocent people are caught up in these initiatives by simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time. No matter what type of drug crime you or a loved one are facing, our Portland drug crime lawyer can work tirelessly on your behalf to protect your future.
Types of Drug Crimes in Oregon
Drug crimes is an overarching term that encompasses offenses involving a lot of different controlled substances and situations. Our drug crime defense attorney has the insight and knowledge to stand up to them all. We work closely with our clients and a team of experts to understand the full extent of your circumstances and explore any available options. With personalized legal counsel, we improve the chances of a positive case outcome.
Drug crimes in Oregon are broken down into three main types:
- Distribution – Transferring a substance from one person to another or having the intent to deliver to another; an example includes the arrest of someone that has a controlled substance on them, as well as multiple cell phones
- Manufacture – Directly or indirectly producing, preparing, converting, or otherwise processing a controlled substance; someone that has marijuana growing on their property may face these charges
- Possession – Having actual control over the substance or having the right to exercise control over it; driving someone who has a controlled substance in their backpack in your vehicle could be enough for a possession charge
As shown above, there are many instances in which police evidence does not fully and accurately illustrate the situation. In other cases, illegal or unconstitutional search methods are used to procure evidence against you. Work with a skilled attorney to uphold your rights under the law.
Oregon Drug Penalties
While the state of Oregon has a reputation as a more liberal state as far as interpreting medicinal substance use, drug crimes still carry serious consequences. If you were charged with a drug crime, you need to get help right away to ensure your rights are protected.
While the penalties for drug crimes vary based on factors such as drug classification, penalties could include:
- Up to 5 years in jail (class C felony)
- Up to 20 years in prison (class A felony)
- Fines up to $100,000 (class A, B, & C felony)
Drug crimes have severe consequences, affecting employment, parental rights, and even your property. It is important to retain a criminal defense lawyer that has experience with drug crimes. At the Law Office of Robert R. Cleland, we focus on defending those facing criminal allegations and pouring attention and resources into reducing or even eliminating criminal charges.
No Case Is Too Large or Too Small
If you or a loved one are arrested in connection with a drug-related offense, turn to our Portland drug attorney today. No case is too large or too small. We have a reputation for conducting thorough preparation before trial, which helps uncover critical evidence to our client’s benefit.
At the Law Office of Robert R. Cleland, we focus on defending those facing criminal allegations and pouring attention and resources into reducing or even eliminating criminal charges.
I couldn't have been happier with his devotion and work ethic.- Jen
Calm and professional.- Igor
We trust Robert and his team to be there for us when need him.- Matthew
I would HIGHLY recommend Robert Cleland!- Jonathan
Rob Cleland was the best thing that could have happened!- Satia